The Calathea Makoyana, commonly known as the Peacock Plant, is a stunning member of the Calathea genus, celebrated for its vibrant, peacock-feather-like patterns on its leaves. Scientifically named Calathea makoyana, this tropical gem brings a touch of the rainforest to indoor spaces. With its striking foliage and unique leaf movements, the Peacock Plant is a favorite among plant enthusiasts seeking a beautiful and dynamic addition to their homes.
The Calathea Makoyana is recognized for its large, oval-shaped leaves adorned with intricate patterns resembling the eyespots on peacock feathers. The contrasting hues of green and burgundy add to its visual appeal, creating a truly captivating display. As a member of the Marantaceae family, this plant is known for its characteristic leaf movements, with leaves folding upward in the evening and relaxing in the morning.
Native to the tropical rainforests of Brazil, the Calathea Makoyana thrives in the understory where it receives filtered sunlight and enjoys high humidity. Its adaptation to low light levels and preference for a humid environment makes it well-suited for indoor cultivation.
Basic Care Guide:
1. Light: Provide bright, indirect light for your Calathea Makoyana. While it can tolerate lower light conditions, bright, filtered sunlight enhances the vibrancy of its foliage.
2. Temperature: Maintain a temperature between 18-24°C. Protect the plant from temperature extremes and drafts, as it prefers a stable and warm environment.
3. Watering: Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged. Water when the top 2.5 centimeters of the soil feel slightly dry. Maintain higher humidity levels, and consider misting the leaves or using a humidifier.
4. Humidity: The Calathea Makoyana thrives in higher humidity. Increase humidity by placing the plant on a tray of water or grouping it with other plants.
5. Soil: Use a well-draining, peat-based mix with added perlite to ensure good aeration and drainage. Maintain a slightly acidic to neutral soil pH.
6. Fertilization: Feed the plant with a balanced, diluted liquid fertilizer every 4-6 weeks during the growing season (spring and summer).
Best Placement Indoors:
Position your Calathea Makoyana in bright to medium indirect light, away from direct sunlight. This plant is well-suited for various indoor spaces, including living rooms, bedrooms, or offices. Its eye-catching patterns make it an attractive standalone feature or a focal point in a grouping of plants. Ensure good air circulation to prevent fungal issues.
With its vibrant peacock-like patterns and interactive leaf movements, the Calathea Makoyana brings a touch of the exotic to your indoor space, making it an enchanting addition to your plant collection.
Pictures for website use only. The plant you will receive may not be the exact plant in the picture but will be of the same size and quality.